When it’s cold outside, bacteria and viruses seem to lurk around every corner. Some take comfort in knowing the stores and pharmacies are stocked with thousands of colorful flu remedies and drugs.
As helpful as these may be, the natural approach is preferable to most. To beat back the cold and flu bugs, all you need to do is eat the right foods.
A warm bowl of soup is perfect for a cold day. But what if there was a soup that also protected you from bacteria and helped support a healthy immune system?
It just so happens there is such a soup and it is very simple for you to make. It keeps you warm all winter, keeps you full of nutrients, and protects you from any harmful bacteria that are lurking about.
Ginger and garlic are the two key ingredients in this beneficial soup. Both taste great and have long been used for their flavor and medicinal properties.
On their own, they each possess numerous health benefits that contribute to the overall well-being of your mind and body. When combined, not only do they prevent the development of serious diseases, but they can protect you from many of the bacteria and viruses that are trying to get into your body.
Ginger is among the healthiest foods in the world and has long been used in traditional cultures for its medicinal properties. Not only is it full of wonderful nutrients, but it delivers powerful health benefits for your body and brain.
The key compound, gingerol, is responsible for much of its healing properties. Here are just some of the benefits:
1. Ginger is effective for treating nausea that may be caused by surgery, sea-sickness, chemotherapy, and pregnancy.
2. The anti-inflammatory properties are effective for reducing muscle pains. Whether you ache because of an illness, injury, or exercise, garlic can help relieve the pain within a short time.
3. Ginger helps to relieve joint pain and stiffness caused by arthritis.
4. It reduces certain markers for oxidized lipoproteins, which are major contributors to heart disease.
5. Ginger helps to speed up the emptying of your stomach, which aids digestion and prevents upset stomach and pain. Also, the more efficient your digestive system is, the less risk you have of pathogenic bacteria building up in your gut.
6. Ginger powder on a daily basis can reduce cholesterol markers, specifically lowering the LDL and triglyceride levels which contribute to cardiovascular problems.
7. Gingerol has been shown to have anti-cancer properties and could be effective in treating certain cancers, such as pancreatic, breast, and ovarian cancer.
8. By fighting against oxidative stress and inflammation, ginger could be a beneficial agent in reducing the development of Alzheimer’s disease.
9. Ginger has been effective in fighting inflammatory infections and can inhibit the growth of several different types of bacteria.
Allicin is the compound in garlic that delivers all its health properties. Just as with ginger, garlic has long been used for more than just flavoring food. Ancient civilizations relied on the healing powers of garlic for many ailments, and today its properties continue to do great work.
1. Garlic is a very nutritious food, full of nutrients such as fiber, manganese, vitamins B6 and C, and is also low on calories.
2. Garlic has the ability to boost your immune system. Not only can it reduce your risk of developing colds, but it lowers the number of days you are sick should you catch one.
3. Daily supplementation helps to keep blood pressure lower, thus protecting you from hypertension and cardiovascular diseases.
4. Garlic has not been shown to lower triglyceride levels, but it can lower your total and LDL cholesterol. You could simply combine with ginger, which can lower triglyceride levels.
5. The antioxidant properties of allicin helps prevent oxidative damage by removing free radicals, which can protect your brain from neurodegenerative diseases.
6. The sulfur compounds in garlic can protect your brain from metal toxicity. Environmental exposures put us at risk daily for blood toxicity, but ginger can reduce these levels by as much as 19 percent.
7. While not yet tested with humans, garlic has been shown to prevent bone loss in rats, which could be a big finding when it comes to preventing bone-related diseases.
It doesn’t have to be cold outside to take care of your body. This soup provides nutrients and a powerful boost to your immune system.
Bacteria and viruses may seem more abundant during the winter, but they are everywhere, all the time. The ingredients of this soup can deliver health benefits for all seasons, keeping you strong the whole year.
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely diced
7 cups chicken stock or broth (vegetarians can use vegetable stock)
4 finely sliced green onions
50g grated root ginger, finely sliced
1 finely diced hot chili pepper
Chopped or whole mushrooms
Put the garlic, onions, mushrooms, and ginger in a large pan and sauté on a low heat for a few minutes. Add the stock and continue to boil all the ingredients. Stir gently until all of the ingredients become very soft. Add the chili pepper last and then stir for another five minutes.
Serve the soup while it is still warm, with lemon water to improve your digestion and deliver some additional antibacterial effects.
Ancient Chinese traditions believe that every food we eat relates to a specific function or part of our body. This means that no two bodies are the same.
It is for this very reason that we need to listen to our bodies to see what they need. Your body sends signs and symptoms so that you can evaluate what it needs or is lacking.
You may not always listen to your doctor (even though you should), but you need to listen to your body if you want to live a healthy and productive life.