Vegan Sushi + the Benefits of Eating Vegan, Even if It's not Every Day
7 minute read
Sushi is a popular food, but it can be either very healthy or extremely bad for you. The ingredients and poor-quality fish can make it a bad option, and too much soy sauce will have your blood pressure racing. To control quality and appease their diets, many people are switching to vegan sushi, which is just as flavorful and more nutritious.
Even if you are not a vegan, this sushi offers a healthy meal choice for a light summer meal. By switching out rice for cauliflower (and abstaining from soy sauce), you also end up with a gluten-free meal, which is beneficial to your gut health.
Loaded with vegetables, vegan sushi is a meal that is low in calories, great for your health, and easy to make.
The Benefits of Vegan Eating
People follow a vegan diet for ethical or religious reasons, or many just want to eat healthier.
| Related: Time to Try This Tasty Vegan Meatball Pasta |
Even without following a strict vegan diet, there are several health benefits you can enjoy by incorporating more vegan meals into your life.
1. Lower Risk of Heart Disease: Heart disease is the number-one killer in the United States. Vegan eating is very heart-friendly and can lower your risk of developing heart disease as well as other cardiovascular problems.
Going vegan involves the removal of animal products from your diet, which by association removes unhealthy fats. The saturated fats and cholesterol linked to animal products are contributors to cardiovascular problems, including high blood pressure, heart attacks, atherosclerosis, heart disease, and stroke.
2. Weight Loss and Control: Typically vegans have healthier BMI (body mass index) than individuals who regularly consume animal products. The dietary fat in these foods is easily converted into body fat.
The carbohydrates consumed by vegans for energy is not as easily converted, so does not contribute to weight gain. A diet consisting mostly of carbohydrates and vegetables will result in more efficient energy consumption and make it easier to control your weight.
3. Healthier Skin: Dairy is one of the worst foods for acne and skin problems. Rather than trying medications and topical creams, all you need to do is change your diet.
| Related: 18 Coconut Oil Uses for Better Skin and More |
Reduction in fatty foods and animal products has been shown to reduce acne flare ups. While some saturated fats are required to keep cell walls strong and healthy, too many can cause inflammation, which leads to skin conditions.
The vitamins, minerals and antioxidants in water-rich fruits and vegetables also help to promote healthy, glowing skin.
4. More Efficient Digestion: Fruits and vegetables are high in dietary fiber which helps keep you regular and promotes digestive health. The gut bacteria that help you to break down food, absorb nutrients, and promote overall well-being thrive on this fiber.
A reduction in fatty foods and animal proteins means your digestive system doesn’t have to work as hard. Hard-to-digest animal proteins and fats can cause you to get clogged up due to bloating, gas, and other digestive upset.
| Related: How to Make Anti-Inflammatory Vegan Beet Hummus |
Avoid the discomfort and keep your bowels moving by cutting out animal products and increasing the fruit and vegetable consumption.
5. Improve Fitness: The biggest fear of cutting back on animal foods is a loss in muscle mass and energy. In reality, meat and dairy are difficult to digest, which uses up a lot of your energy.
Plant-based diets are full of protein, which makes it easier to build lean muscle and keeps you from consuming too much fat. With easier digestion of vegan grains, fruits, and vegetables, your body will have more than enough energy to reach whatever fitness goals you have.
6. Boost Your Mood: Fruits and vegetables are high in antioxidants, which have been shown to improve symptoms of anxiety and depression as well as fatigue and anger.
Healthy carbohydrates such as brown rice, steel cut oats, and rye bread that are popular in vegan diet plans also help to boost serotonin levels which are instrumental in boosting your mood.
7. Avoid Harmful Compounds: The majority of animal products contain bacteria, antibiotics, dioxins, hormones, and other harmful toxins that can negatively impact your health. Most cases of food poisoning are linked to infected meat products and this can be avoided by cutting out meat or at least cutting down the amount you consume.
This vegan sushi recipe is a perfect way to lose the meat and still enjoy a favorite dish.
For the sushi rice:
1 large head of cauliflower
¼ cup almonds
1 tablespoon bee-free honee
A dash of Himalayan salt
For the filling:
8 sheets of nori
1 cucumber, julienned
1 carrot, peeled and washed, julienned
4 shiitake mushrooms, washed and thinly sliced
4 green onions, washed and chopped
1 avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
1½ cup alfalfa sprouts
1. Pulse the cauliflower in a food processor until it is similar to the consistency of rice. Pour this into a bowl and pat with a paper towel to remove any moisture.
2. In the food processor, pulse almonds until finely chopped, then add to the rice along with honey and salt, mixing until combined.
3. Place a sheet of nori on a rolling mat and add ½ cup of cauliflower rice, leaving an inch at the edges. Add the filling ingredients and fold the nori over the filling and roll tightly.
4. Wet the top edge of the nori to seal it together. Cut into small pieces, wiping the knife each time so to prevent any sticking.
The Bottom Line
Whether you eat vegan for specific reasons or because you want to eat better, there are a lot of reasons to cut out animal products from your diet.
Even if you don’t go full vegan, you can incorporate meals, like vegan sushi, in your diet to increase vegetable intake and cut down on unhealthy fats. Your mom always told you to eat your vegetables and for good reason; the vegan diet is proven to be able to boost your health and well-being.
READ NEXT >>> Is Vegan Fast Food Taking Over?
At 1MD, our mission is to help people make smarter health choices and lead healthier lifestyles by creating industry-leading products and cutting-edge health content. Take advantage of our medically researched supplements for boosting your health by visiting our online store for a complete list of our 100% natural products. We offer family and bulk purchase discounts as well as monthly subscription options for maximum savings.