6 Best Watermelon Day Recipes for Delicious Health Benefits
10 minute read
It might not be the most famous holiday, but August 3 is National Watermelon Day. Watermelon is an incredible fruit that is loaded with healthy benefits, so to celebrate, we’re going to show you our favorite ways to prepare watermelon.
While watermelon may not be in the top 50 most nutritious foods, it’s still way, way healthier than ice cream. In the heat of the summer, these treats will be sure to offer cool refreshment.
So grab your sunglasses and sandals, and let’s get ready for National Watermelon Day!
Recipe 1: Peach Watermelon Salad
Peaches and watermelons are a deliciously sweet summertime combination, and this salad recipe makes sure you get the best of both worlds!
| Related: Fiber-Rich Celery, Fennel, & Apple Salad |
8 to 10 slices of fresh peaches
8 to 10 slices of fresh watermelon
8 to 10 slices of mozzarella cheese
12 to 14 slices of fresh tomatoes
Fresh mint leaves
Fresh basil leaves
Salt and pepper
1. Stack the tomato, peach, watermelon, and mozzarella slices and layer them as desired.
2. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
3. Add a dash of salt and pepper.
4. Serve chilled.
Recipe 2: Quinoa with Basil, Watermelon, and Feta
Quinoa is a great source of vegetarian protein. So this dish can act as a small snack or it can be your entire lunch. It will leave you feeling full but refreshed, and it’s surprisingly easy to make!
| Related: Turmeric Drink Recipe: Curcumin+Honey+Pepper |
1 ½ cups chopped fresh watermelon
â…” cup feta cheese
1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
¼ teaspoon pepper
¾ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon honey
15-20 basil leaves, chopped
1 lime, for juice
1. Cook the quinoa according to the directions on the package. When it’s finished, let the quinoa cool and then toss with the pepper and ½ teaspoon of salt.
2. Add the chopped watermelon, honey, and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Toss it all together with the basil and crumbled feta. Then squeeze the lime for juice, toss it again, and serve. It’s that easy!
Recipe 3: Grilled Watermelon with Honey Salad
Grilled watermelon might sound strange, but it’s actually a delicious way to prepare this fruit. And when topped with honey in this tasty salad, it adds a whole new twist on the traditional watermelon flavor.
| Related: Why You Should Start a Mediterranean Diet |
2 round, large watermelon slices each cut into 4 triangles
1 pint of grape tomatoes, quartered
4 ounces of mozzarella cheese, sliced
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1. Brush both sides of each watermelon triangle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
2. Drizzle with honey and place the watermelon slices on a grill at medium heat.
3. Grill each side for 2 minutes.
4. Remove from the grill, and place 2 watermelon triangles on each plate.
5. Cover the watermelon with a sprinkle of tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella.
6. Add salt and pepper then drizzle with balsamic glaze and serve.
Recipe 4: Watermelon Jalapeno Margarita
You knew we’d get to it eventually. No summer picnic is complete without a tasty beverage, and this delicious margarita recipe offers a unique twist on the classic drink.
8-10 cups of large watermelon chunks
1 jalapeno, sliced
½ cup fresh lime juice
¼ cup simple syrup
¾ cup silver tequila
â…“ cup Triple Sec
Salt, chili powder, and lime juice for the rims of the glasses
1. Place about 4-5 slices of jalapeno in a measuring cup and add the tequila. Let it sit in the refrigerator for 1-4 hours, depending on how spicy you want your tequila. Take a taste test every hour or so, and as soon as you’ve reached your desired level of spice, remove the jalapenos.
2. Put the watermelon into a blender and blend until it becomes liquid.
3. Pour the watermelon into a strainer and measure out 3 cups.
4. Mix the watermelon juice, lime juice, tequila, simple syrup, and Triple Sec into a pitcher.
5. Place a mixture of salt and chili powder on a plate, then coat the rims of the glasses in lime juice and place face-down on the plate to salt the rims.
6. Pour the margarita mixture into the glasses over ice. Garnish with jalapeno or lime slices if desired.
7. Drink responsibly!
Recipe 5: Watermelon Salad with Balsamic and Bacon
Who doesn’t love bacon? Normally, we associate bacon as an unhealthy treat to be indulged lightly, but when you combine it with watermelon in this recipe, it makes for a delicious salad that you can enjoy guilt-free.
| Related: Why We All Need Eggplant Bacon in Our Lives |
6 cups of watermelon (cubed)
1 lb of bacon
2 tablespoons of fresh mint
¼ cup of sliced red onion
â…” cup of sesame seeds or other nuts
2 tablespoons of basil
1 tablespoon of sea salt
1 tablespoon of olive oil
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
1. Make the glaze by putting the balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan. Let it simmer until reduced by half.
2. Cook the bacon.
3. Chop the fresh mint and basil, cube your watermelon, and slice your onion.
4. Add basil, mint, onion, and watermelon to a large bowl and toss with salt and olive oil.
5. Once the bacon has finished cooking, toss it into the salad mixture.
6. Drizzle the whole thing with your glaze and serve it up!
Okay, okay. You’re probably wondering how this combination is even possible, or if it could possibly taste good. Well, it may come as a surprise, but the smoky, sweet flavor of this summertime chicken will leave you wanting more.
4 lbs of chicken drumsticks
2 cups of cubed watermelon
¼ cup of honey
¼ cup of chipotle peppers
1 cup of ketchup
1 cup of blue cheese crumbles
¾ teaspoon of salt
1 lime for juice
½ cup of fresh cilantro
1 cup of Greek yogurt
1. Place the watermelon, honey, chipotle peppers, ketchup, and salt in a blender, and blend until smooth.
2. Put the chicken in a large ziploc bag, and pour the watermelon marinade into the bag. Place in the fridge and let the chicken marinate for 1-2 hours.
3. Place the yogurt, cilantro, blue cheese, ¼ teaspoon of salt, and lime juice into a food processor, and process until combined. This is your dipping sauce, so transfer it from the bowl and place it in the fridge until you need it.
4. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Take the chicken out of the marinade and bake for 40 minutes. Flip the chicken once while baking.
5. While the chicken cooks, bring the marinade to a boil in a saucepan. Then lower the heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Then remove it from the heat and set it to the side.
6. When the chicken is done baking, brush it with the marinade. Place it under the broiler for 1-2 minutes, or until it starts to darken.
7. Pull the chicken out of the oven and enjoy with your blue cheese sauce!
The Bottom Line
Watermelon is a great treat on a hot day, or really whenever you feel like having it. For National Watermelon Day, it’s great to have some fun, tasty recipes up your sleeve.
Plus, since none of these take too long to make, you can kick back with a cool snack and enjoy the last days of summer. Just remember to stay hydrated and use sunscreen.