3 Easy and Delicious Recipes: Quick Ideas for Weekday Dishes
4 minute read
Healthy doesn't have to mean boring! These easy recipes are full of nutrients and flavor, perfect for any busy weekday. With 3 simple recipes, you can change it up!
Veggie Sushi Hand Rolls
Enjoy sushi that's prepared with fresh ingredients and antioxidant-rich seaweed.
1 cup cooked brown sushi rice (cooled)
3 tablespoons of sushi seasoning (rice wine vinegar with a pinch of salt and sugar)
10 sheets toasted sushi nori (seaweed)
Half of an English cucumber
1 medium red bell pepper (optional)
2 small avocados, pitted and sliced
White toasted sesame seeds
- Mix in the sushi seasoning with the rice, fluff using rice paddle.
- Cut the vegetables into matchstick sizes.
- Cut the nori sheets in half. Place one-half of the nori sheet on a board, shiny side down. Spoon some rice onto the nori (about 2-3 tablespoons). Spread the rice so that you fill one-half of the nori. Top the nori with a few slices of cucumber, and red bell pepper. Top with one slice of avocado, and sprinkle some sesame seeds on top.
- Starting with the lower right-hand corner, roll the nori towards the left until you reach the end. Seal the hand roll with a few grains of rice. Repeat with all the other nori sheets.
- Serve immediately.
Photo / Recipe Credit: thathealthykitchen.com
Goat Cheese and Fig Pita Pizza
A low-calorie treat combining savory with sweet with added potassium and fiber.
3 oz soft goat cheese
2 tsp of aged balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 loaves whole wheat pita bread
1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
4 tsp extra virgin olive oil divided
1 ½ cups fresh baby arugula
About 3 fully ripened organic black mission figs
â…› tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 450°F
- In a small bowl, stir together goat cheese and pepper. Spread over the entire surface of each pita. Scatter onions on top. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons olive oil.
- Place pizzas on a large baking sheet. Bake until crust is crisp, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, quarter the fresh figs.
- Transfer pizzas to a cutting board and slice. Top with arugula and figs; sprinkle with vinegar, salt and remaining 2 teaspoons oil.
- Top with crushed walnuts, if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
Photo and Recipe Credit: voraciousvander.com
Omega-Rich Chocolate Chip Cookies
The classic sweet treat you love, rich with Omega-3 and fiber. A healthier cookie!
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
2 tbsp ground flaxseed with 6 tbsp of water (it will become gelatinous)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup coconut oil (soft, not liquid)
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk the flour, oats, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Beat the coconut oil, granulated sugar and brown sugar in a large bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 4 minutes. Beat in the flax seed mix slowly, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. Reduce the mixer speed to low; add the flour mixture and beat until just combined, scraping down the bowl as needed. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool 3 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to racks to cool completely.
Photo and Recipe Credit: wikipedia.org